10.23.2010

Karma's a snitch.

Karma (noun):
(1) action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation (2) the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation

Karma. I believe in it, do you? Maybe that's why I stand by the concept of "catching more flies with honey" (although I've heard from others you can catch just as many with sh*t). Now, the whole reincarnation concept doesn't really jive with my religious point of view, but karma... now, that's real enough for me. I don't know much, I suppose, and I'm not the wisest of the bunch, but I can definitely comment on the things I've seen. In my mind, you get back what you put in to life, whether that be love or hate, good or evil, kindness or cruelty. It's a chain reaction that WILL make its way back to the originator, even if it takes a while.



Over the past few years, I have seen some of the most wonderful, kind, and loving people I know be betrayed, overrun, and downtrodden by other human beings. Some have been promised love and faithfulness, and then have had it cruelly yanked away. Some have earned respect and promotion, but have been passed over due to greed and the self-interest of others. Despite receiving a seemingly bad hand in the game of life, they continued to do what they do best: love others and love God, trusting in the hope of Romans 8:28 that "in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

You want to know the great part about all of this? It may not have been the next day, the next month, or the next year (and in fact, some are still going through their lowest times), but things turned (or will turn) around.  Now, these good people are being rewarded with success beyond their dreams, with love that remains loyal and true, with respect, with health, with financial well-being, and most importantly... with happiness. Although I do not wish unhappiness upon anyone, it is interesting to note the current outcomes for those individuals whose actions caused the initial hurt in the lives of my friends and family. For the most part, those who exhibited greed, arrogance, selfishness, unfaithfulness, and hate towards others are finding themselves in situations of failure, betrayal, abandonment, loneliness, and unhappiness. I do not rejoice in seeing others in these situations, but it does make me contemplate to what degree their own actions have contributed to the shaping of their current problems.

So yes, I think that karma, or at least something like it, does exist. My advice to all of my 2.36 readers? Treat others as you wish to be treated. I believe that those who act selfishly will be hurt by the self-serving act of another. I believe that those who hurt others through lying, betrayal, or greed will eventually find their own dreams or happiness crushed by someone that acts in the same fashion. By the same token, I believe that those who show kindness, love, and respect towards others will receive the same. BE GOOD. BE KIND. BE GENEROUS. Be love to the world around you, and you will see it repaid.

As she has planted, so does she harvest; such is the field of karma.  ~Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.  ~Elbert Hubbard

Before you begin on the journey of revenge, dig two graves.  ~Proverb  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog